Whether you’re interested in restoring your home’s classic sensibility or adding a statement piece to your modern renovation, clawfoot bathtubs are undoubtedly one of the most beautiful and coveted ways to inject a serious sense of style into your bathroom.
Clawfoot tubs bridge modern and classic design, offering luxury as well as a touch of classic beauty. Though they didn’t hit the peak of their popularity until the late 19th century, their origins can be traced back to the 18th. Some believe that the classic design originated in Nordic countries, while others believe the imagery was inspired by an Asian motif of a dragon holding a stone.
Today, soaking and clawfoot tubs have become synonymous with pre-war design, offering a touch of ritual and luxury to your bathing routine. Even better, luxurious bathtubs are great for your home’s resale value, which is part of the reason we’ve seen a resurgence in their popularity over the past few years.
Besides all the niceties of this upscale bathroom feature, they can at times seem inaccessible, or at the very least, confusing. Where do you buy a clawfoot tub? How do you install it? Do you need an expert? How do you even choose which tub is going to suit your space? We’re going to answer all of that for you, but first you have to get clear on what kind of space you want to create.
Begin With A Visualization
If you aren’t sure where to start with your bathroom renovation or tub selection, start by visualizing what a place of peace would look like for you. Imagine coming home at the end of the day and going into your bathroom to relax. Consider the following:
- What does the tub feel like?
- How much space do you have?
- How does the tub fit in with the rest of your bathroom design?
- Are there any special features — such as a gold finished faucet — that would make your experience even more beautiful?
- Do you want to sit up to read, or would you prefer a reclining soak?
Knowing the answers to some of these questions can help you when it comes time to making your selection. When you’re ready, here are some of our recommendations for the best tubs available, all of which you can conveniently order online via eFaucets.com.
Best Clawfoot Bathtubs For Sale
Below are seven of our favorite clawfoot bathtubs available for purchase today. We've hand picked each one of these tubs to be unique as well as multi-functional for various types of bathroom designs and interior design aesthetics.
So What's Next?
Once you’ve selected your choice of clawfoot tub, you should prepare your space for installation. We recommend taking the following issues into consideration:
- If you’re installing your new tub on your own, make sure you have a team ready to do the heavy lifting. Clawfoot tubs can often fall in the range of a few hundred pounds each — often up to 400 pounds without water — so it’s definitely not a job for just one person.
- Make sure you have the right flooring installed. With the weight and size of a clawfoot tub, you’re going to need a sturdy flooring material. When water is added to the tub, it can go up to 600 or 700 pounds in weight; therefore, you need to ensure your flooring will hold up. Stone is great for this; however, hardwood will probably rot from water exposure, and the tub will simply sink into vinyl or carpet.
- Prepare for non-visible or visible plumbing. Clawfoot tubs generally don’t come with faucets built in, only drains. This means that you need to either place the tub near a pre-existing drain or prepare to run new pipes under the floor to the new location of your tub. Clawfoot tubs most often require a floor-mounted faucet, which requires running a different configuration of pipes to deliver the water.
Ultimately, picking the right clawfoot tub for your space is about as personal a decision as they come, so make sure you take the time to do the research, look at your options, and feel confident you’re investing in the right one for you. There’s a lot to prepare for when it comes to bringing such a big piece into your house, so be sure you have everything in place, and never hesitate to call or at least consult with one of our specialists here at Hausera. If you’re tackling the redesign on your own and want to plan the best type of clawfoot tub based on your plumbing and space requirements, asking a product expert can relieve some of your stress. A clawfoot tub is one of those special items that requires care and thought to ensure it’s chosen and installed as well as possible.